June 1, 2012

Typesetting Announcements




I gotta say, Typesetters back in the day really did not get enough credit! To assemble line after line of tiny text to be printed for, say, a newspaper! Just imagine what life was like before the linotype! Before computers! It was a very different time, and I bet you there was a lot more eye-straining and amazing hand-eye coordination and dexterity. Those guys were rock stars!

Typesetting this small A7-sized announcement took me about 3 hours! Seriously! Just to get every line to be nice and tight and perfectly aligned really takes time, patience and a bit of obsessive-compulsiveness! There is still something so satisfying about completing a good lock up! Nothing moves, all the 10pt Bodoni Classic leadtype is nested in a safe little place, and ready for the press. At that point all I want to do was marvel at it. lol. 

These baby announcements have been a long time coming, and I totally didn't mean to procrastinate on these, especially since they are celebrating the birth of my own nephew! Do you ever find that the projects that are most personal to you, take the longest to figure out? I did about 10 different "polymer" designs, full of trains and balloons and all that other cute "baby" stuff... and they just didn't feel right.  We are celebrating the love we have for this sweet new life and I didn't want to "baby it up". Keeping it nice and clean with a simple design element is the way to go for me on this one. I'm adding a small (possibly blind embossed) design element that isn't included here. You'll just have to wait and see what it is though. lol. I'm hoping to print these over the next little while and I'll be sure to take some photos of the finished product! 

Have a great weekend everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...